Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Words Possess Great Power




Words are transforming. They can affect us in very deep ways. I've learned throughout life that words can harm or heal you. I also learned that you need to use your words very carefully, think before you speak. Its still not easy for me to do that. I know sometimes I just want to open my mouth and let the words fly right out, not giving any thought to what I'm saying. I'm pretty sure you have those moments too. Just recently I've come to realize how poisonous words can be. The lord laid it on my heart to write about it. So here we are.
 
Forget everything you've learned about words and how they affect you and others. Everyone knows the saying "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me". Here's a shocker, that saying is a lie! Words will hurt you! Words can rip you apart from the inside out. Tearing away at everything you have until there is nothing left. Then you are left desolate and vulnerable, almost ready to accept anything. On the other hand words can be uplifting and kind. Building you up and encouraging you. The Bible speaks very strongly about words. In the sense of our tongues.
 
 James 3:2-6 tells us: " For we all stumble in many ways. And if anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle his whole body.  If we put bits into the mouths of horses so that they obey us, we guide their whole bodies as well. Look at the ships also: though they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are guided by a very small rudder wherever the will of the pilot directs. So also the tongue is a small member, yet it boasts of great things. How great a forest is set ablaze by such a small fire! And the tongue is a fire, a world of unrighteousness. The tongue is set among our members, staining the whole body, setting on fire the entire course of life, and set on fire by hell".
 
Also in Ephesian 4:29  tells us: "Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear".
 
These are two good scriptures to go by when you are thinking about your words.
 
I want to share a few examples with you to show you how powerful words are.
 
Genesis 1:3 "Then God said let there be light, and there was light". God spoke this world into existence, he transformed what was dark and without form into the earth we see and live on today! He did all of this with using just his words!
 

When Jesus died on the cross and he shouted "It is finished" in John 19:30. When Jesus said "It is Finished" he was done. He had taken on all our sins and died for all of us, so that one day we would have a place in Heaven. He did this so that when we come to him and accept him as our Lord and Savior our old lives are finished. All our sins are gone, they are finished! 

 

Here is a verse we should live by when it comes to words, Psalm 19:14 "Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer".
 
 So the next time you are about to speak to someone remember to use your words wisely. Is what you are going to say to them going to build them up or tear them down?
 
Never forget words are very powerful, they are transforming.

 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment